4 Easy Steps to Clean Your Make-up Brushes
Ok ladies, this is a warning and a little advice for those of you who don't think you need to wash your make-up brushes. YOU DO!
We wash our face everyday, apply tons of expensive products on it...but do you take the time to wash your make-up brushes? It might be the easiest, least expensive way to keep your skin looking great. Bacteria and oil build up on the brushes and need to be cleaned about every 2-4 weeks, depending on how much you use them.
This method also works for those spongy pads that come in most pressed powders too (those get just as gross!)
Below I've outlined an easy 4 step method to clean your make-up brushes, adapted from Aveda and my own personal experience.
Here's what you'll need:
- All of your make-up brushes (kabuki, blush, foundation, lip liner, eyeshadow, etc.)
- Foaming face wash (Olay, Dove) or a mild soap
- Warm water, and your bathroom sink for about 15 minutes
- Old Towels (but clean!)
1. Dampen bristles, add soap, then wash in warm water with soap and lather up.
2. Rinse under running water until the water runs clear & shake off any excess water. If your brushes are extra dirty, you may need to repeat steps 1 & 2 until completely clean.
3. Reshape brushes & allow to dry flat.
4. Store in protective pouch or place in appropriate holder when completely dry.
*Make sure you do not soak the brushes or completely submerge them in water which will loosen the glue that holds the bristles in place.
Now...go clean those dirty brushes!