A Daily Dose of Inspiration
As a sophomore creative advertising major, I'm just now starting to take some of my advanced advertising classes - something I'm very excited about.
I'm currently enrolled in ADV 324 - Intro to Creative Media. This class focuses on layout, typography, and all things related to making excellent design. These are my textbooks for the class - the first textbooks I'm actually looking forward to reading and keeping after the semester ends!
One of the books, "Layout Workbook" by Kristin Cullen, is all about design and layout. The first couple of chapters, however, focus on the tasks a designer must accomplish in their work and how to stay inspired and refreshed while working in the creative field.
The book then details a list of things that you can do to continue to nurture inspiration. After reading the list, I felt that everyone could benefit from doing these things - not just to make art, but to live happier and more relaxed lives!
So, without further ado, here's the list!
- Carry a notebook or camera everywhere to record findings.
- Become immersed in design.
- Be committed to discovering and collecting inspirational factors.
- Take a walk.
- Take breaks throughout the day.
- Listen to music.
- Spend the day outdoors.
- Communicate regularly with other designers.
- Explore areas of interest beyond design.
- Go to a movie, play, opera, concert, museum, or gallery opening.
- Visit family and friends.
- Read design and nondesign books, magazines, and journals.
- Go for a drive.
- Attend conferences, lectures, and events.
- Take a different route home from work.
- Create diversions from everyday routines.
- Go on vacation or spend a weekend away from home.
- Try something new.
I hope this list can help you find daily inspiration for whatever you do!